
Thousands of Australians took part in nationwide demonstrations on Sunday under the banner of March for Australia, calling for an end to mass immigration. The events, held in Sydney, other state capitals, and several regional towns, were strongly criticized by the federal government, which accused organizers of being linked to neo-Nazi groups.
In Sydney, police estimated that between 5,000 and 8,000 people gathered near the city’s marathon route, many draped in Australian flags. The marathon itself saw 35,000 runners finishing at the Opera House.
On its website, March for Australia argued that large-scale immigration has weakened social cohesion and placed pressure on infrastructure, hospitals, housing, traffic, wages, and cultural identity. A post on X (formerly Twitter) said the rallies sought to achieve “what mainstream politicians never have the courage to do: demand an end to mass immigration.”
Government Pushback
Labor minister Murray Watt condemned the demonstrations, saying they were organized and promoted by extremist groups.
“We vehemently oppose today’s March for Australia demonstration,” Watt told Sky News. “This is not about bringing Australians together—it is about spreading division and hate.”
Organizers of the march did not immediately respond to allegations of neo-Nazi involvement.
Australia, where roughly half the population is either born overseas or has a parent from abroad, has seen a rise in far-right extremism in recent years. Earlier this year, new laws were passed banning Nazi salutes and the display or sale of extremist symbols, following a wave of antisemitic vandalism during the ongoing Israel-Gaza conflict.
Counter-Protest Voices
A counter-rally was staged nearby by the Refugee Action Coalition, drawing hundreds of participants. The group described its event as a show of “disgust and anger” at the far-right’s agenda.
Police deployed hundreds of officers across Sydney for the demonstrations and later reported that the day’s operations ended without major incidents.